Garden Veggies

Garden Veggies
Made into tile for my stove backsplash

Portland Rose Garden

Portland Rose Garden
Mike and my 2 youngest sons Ian and Leif

Grandson Michael's Birthday 2014 throwing water balloons

Grandson Michael's Birthday 2014 throwing water balloons
With son Beau, Grandson Luke and his mom Jennifer

Maren

Maren
I cut this out of a wedding line. I must take more pictures of her.

Friday, January 2, 2009

GOD'S ARMS



Winter prevails, including the cold winter of disappointment for Maren. Her marriage hopes were dashed two weeks before Christmas. I have never had my heart ache quite like this but, I know it has been worse for her. My prayers for her have been pleading, soul wrenching, physically and mentally exhausting. What do you pray for when your daughters heart is broken? Scriptures came to my mind: “Surely he hath borne our grief and carried our sorrow.” (Isaiah 53:4) “...my peace I leave with you, not as the world giveth give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27) Are these things that I could pray for? Are these prayers God would answer? I pleaded, hoping.

One day I thought, she needs to be “encircled about...in the arms of His love.” (2 Ne. 1:15) “Please God,” I cried, “let her feel your arms of love.” The next morning she called me. Her precious friends rallied and came to her aid. They cooked dinner and brought gifts. They rubbed her back and held her as she cried. They encircled her in the arms of their love. Oh, this is how it works. This is how prayers are answered.

I told her I was coming to see her. I told her I would clean and organize her house. She said, “No, that’s not what I need. Come and hold me and rub my back.” I did pray for this didn’t I? And then it was clear to me. I am not good at giving physical comfort. I am so task oriented and practical all I could think of was cleaning. Then I prayed a different prayer, “Please God, help me be better at being your arms.”

I have a young adult friend who writes poetry, Lindsay Hunt. After reading this blog she sent me her poem. I think it is wonderful and fits beautifully with my thoughts. Thanks Lindsay

Loving Arms

There is no greater feeling, than that of loving arms.
They can make you believe, you'll overcome anything that harms
The comfort and love that they possess,
Help so much to take away the stress.
With loving arms; they are always there,
No matter what, they'll be there to care!
The stress of life, they don't have to solve,
Just being there; they may help things evolve.
So turn to the arms, that you feel the most love,
They will try to help you start to rise above.
To feel of their comfort; everyone needs,
Before the loneliness of your heart bleeds.
Keep an eye out and an open heart to see;
You never know whose "loving arms" you may be!
~*Lindsay-Lou*~

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Absolutely beautiful Charmaine. Your blog has been so inspiring for me. I'm sorry to hear of the pain you and your daughter are experiencing, but I'm grateful you post your lessons learned because we all grow from them. May the Lord be with you all.

Barb said...

Charmaine, my heart too aches for Maren and you. I know the sun will shine again for you both, but it is difficult until that day.
What great friends she has and I hope that I can learn to be "God's Arms."

TnD said...

Heartbreak is so bittersweet. I remember after one very sad breakup literally going to sleep at night in tears and waking up in the morning in tears. My mom and grandma Beth provided such wonderful comfort to me. At the end of the day, my heartbreak strengthened me, made me more sensitive to others in a relationship and bonded me to the Lord. I know it will do the same for Maren.

Alicia said...

Maren is lucky to have many in her life who love her. She will grow stronger from this experience. Henry W. Longfellow said "The heart hath it's own memory like the mind and in it are enshrined the precious keepsakes, into which is wrought the giver's loving thought. You have given Maren a good foundation and it shows!

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

Wow this is exceptionally wonderful writing! I'm sorry for the pain you and your daughter are enduring, but know you have a wonderful gift of relaying a good lesson/message to a lot of others! Sometimes those loving arms are the perfect thing. Do you remember my poem a long while back about "Loving Arms"?