Garden Veggies

Garden Veggies
Made into tile for my stove backsplash

Portland Rose Garden

Portland Rose Garden
Mike and my 2 youngest sons Ian and Leif

Grandson Michael's Birthday 2014 throwing water balloons

Grandson Michael's Birthday 2014 throwing water balloons
With son Beau, Grandson Luke and his mom Jennifer

Maren

Maren
I cut this out of a wedding line. I must take more pictures of her.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

CHOCOLATE HOT POTS



I went on a Carnival cruise with Maren in July and the Warm Chocolate Melting Cakes were their best dessert. I gained 4 lbs. eating more than my share. When I came home I began research on a recipe (love the internet). After trying 3 recipes this is the one I created and am pleased with the results. (Cheryl Miller named them Chocolate Hot Pots--good name!)


1 C. butter melted and add:
8 oz. Of bittersweet chocolate – stir until chocolate is smooth
I had some bulk dark chocolate the first time I made it but I am not sure it was bittersweet. I added 2 T. of Dutch process cocoa with the chocolate and it was delicious. (I love Dutch cocoa) I made this several times with Ambrosia semi-sweet chocolate chips (Costco) and 2 T. Dutch cocoa and it is my favorite combination. Once I used Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate chips available at grocery stores and it was good too. (8 oz. Is 1 1/3 C. of chips)
My friend Cheryl from Monterey said she made this with milk chocolate chips and 2 T. of cocoa and it was very good--I will definately try that version.


Cool the chocolate for 10 minutes if it is hot. Add 4 eggs and 1 egg yolk along with ½ C. of sugar, ¼ C. of flour and 1 tsp. vanilla. Stir well and chill until solid. This can stay in the refrigerator for a week and it will also freeze. (if you only want to bake a couple at a time like we do) One recipe makes about 7 cups. (Can make double or triple recipes)


The baking process is the key to success. My niece Robynn Wood makes these in her catering business in large non-stick muffin tins and turns them out on a plate before serving. I made my first batch in the tins and it was a little tricky getting 6 out and then they stuck on the bottom a bit so here is my advice if you want to do this. After spraying well with Pam put a small piece of foil in the bottom of the tin so the middle will release better.


Carnival cruise serves theirs in a small ceramic ramekins (I tried baking them in the glass variety but they get too hot and cook too quickly). So, I went on a hunt for said ramekins. I ended up buying 16 cups (3 ½ inches) at 3 different Ross stores (very reasonable). I know I will make and serve this often since it is easy, elegant, and awesomely delicious.


Fill the Pam sprayed cups with 1/3 C. generously filled cold mixture and bake at 400 for 13-14 minutes. That's what it takes in my oven. I baked them at a friend’s house once and she said her oven baked hot so I lowered it to 390 for 14 minutes. The main thing is to check the baking after about 12 minutes. There should be a liquid center an inch wide. Don’t over-bake, as the melted center is very important. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving (especially in the ramekins because they are hot to touch.)

My friend Cheryl got a bag of truffles at Trader Joe’s in Monterey for $3. We stuck a truffle in the middle before baking and it was awesome melted so maybe you will want to try this if you have a truffle source. (No Trader Joes in Utah but I came home with 5 bags...if I can only keep from eating them before I make the cakes) How about mint truffles at Christmas with peppermint ice cream on top?


My niece serves the ones baked in tins on a plate atop pureed raspberries and crowned with whipped cream. Very beautiful!


A scoop of ice cream on top of the ceramic cups is my favorite. I receive rave reviews every time I serve this. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mother Goose said...

Delicious! My daughter had a friend over for family night tonight. She was in charge of the treat and wanted to make something wonderful. I said "I have just the thing... let's try these hot pots Charmaine just posted". WOW! They are YUMMY! I'm so thankful to you again for yet another incredible recipe!

Barb said...

These do look yummy and I just might try them. We have FHE here and if I am assigned dessert I will try this receipe. Thanks!!

Robyn said...

Charmaine -

It's Robyn (Shipley) Steen. I happened upon your blog through my mom's. I copied down this recipe and can't wait to try it. My mom told me she went up to check your home out recently and just fell in love with the floor plan and the area. Maybe one day you'll be neighbors again :)