Garden Veggies

Garden Veggies
Made into tile for my stove backsplash

Portland Rose Garden

Portland Rose Garden
Mike and my 2 youngest sons Ian and Leif

Grandson Michael's Birthday 2014 throwing water balloons

Grandson Michael's Birthday 2014 throwing water balloons
With son Beau, Grandson Luke and his mom Jennifer

Maren

Maren
I cut this out of a wedding line. I must take more pictures of her.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

TOFFEE CRACHER COOKIES

This recipe was in the paper during Christmas this year.  Since then I have made them 3 time and changed the recipe every time so I think I have the bugs out.  This is so simple it shouldn't have problems but it did.  They are soooooooo good if you like toffee and the base is a simple cracker.  I used the little Keebler Club crackers because they are buttery and fit into the cookie sheet nicely.  But you can also use saltines.  I haven't tried the saltines yet.  The first ones I made turned out lovely but the crackers and butter made it a little too salty so the next time I used unsalted butter. PERFECT! (You can buy no salt Saltines which would work.)   The recipe said to put the chocolate chips on after you take them out of the oven  and then when they melt spread them around.(I did this on the second batch)  This method caused the toffee layer and the chocolate layer to separate off the cracker (not good).  Melting the chocolate separately in a double boiler or simply in a bowl over some hot water works (big bowl with hot water, smaller bowl with chips) and just frost after the toffee is set. I also increased the sugar and butter for the toffee layer because there was not quite enough to cover the crackers and have them stick together when cutting them.   So here is my no fail Toffee Cookies.

Cover a large sided cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.  Cover with crackers edge to edge to fill up the tin.  In a medium sauce pan melt 1 1/4 C unsalted butter. (salted butter is good too but if you use it you might want to brush some salt off the crackers before putting them in the tin.  Add 1 1/4 C. brown sugar to the butter and boil for 3 minutes.  Pour carefully over the crackers smoothing to cover  them nicely.  Bake until they are bubbling all over the top.  It took 7 minutes in my oven at 350.  Let cool until the surface is solid.  Melt 1 package of good milk chocolate chips (I added another 1/3 C. semisweet for a little heartier chocolate.  The more chocolate the better, I say.)   I have ruined chocolate too many time melting it in the microwave.  I prefer a double boiler or a bowl of hot water.  (Actually I like to melt chocolate in the oven overnight with the oven light.  It works great.  But you have to plan ahead) If you use a double boiler remove from the burner after the water is hot.  Too much heat kills chocolate.  Add chopped toasted almonds or any other nut or no nuts as you prefer. Press into the chocolate.  I usually make half and half.   A pizza cutter works well to cut them into squares. You don't have to cut on the cracker lines.  The toffee layer binds the edges together. 
Toffee Layer
Cutting in the pan.

No comments: